- The contest is open to prose submissions between June 1 - August 15.
- Previously unpublished fiction of 850 words or less are eligible for this contest. We are especially interested in stories that demonstrate a strong voice and/or a sense of place, but we consider all quality writing.
- We will select one winner to receive a cash prize of $500, and 4 runners up will recognized but receive no prize. Winners will be named in October. All winning entries will be published in the Fall / Winter issue of South 85 Journal, which will be released December 15.
- To read last year's winners, visit http://south85journal.com/issues/fall-winter-2018/flash-fiction/.
- We do accept simultaneous submissions, but please withdraw your entry if your piece is accepted elsewhere.
- Please do not include personal information on your piece, as submissions will be read blind.
- All winners must be over 18 years old and reside in the U.S. in order to claim their cash prize.
- Please use double-spacing and a 12 point, standard font. We suggest Times New Roman. We consider only previously unpublished work.
- Current and former staff members are not eligible for participation. Current Converse College students and Converse College alumni are not eligible for participation.
South 85 Journal does not publish work which has been previously published either in print or online. Our reply time is typically six to eight weeks. We acquire exclusive first-time Internet rights only. All other rights revert to the author at publication, but we offer formal, written reassignments upon request. Works are also archived online. We ask that whenever an author reprints the work that first appeared in our pages, South 85 Journal be given acknowledgment for the specific work(s) involved. Only the main contest winner will receive a prize.