South 85 Journal is accepting Fiction submissions for the Spring / Summer 2019 Issue, which we will release June 25, 2019
- Manuscript should be sent as an attachment.
- Fiction submissions should be between 851 and 10,000 words. (For submissions 850 or less, please see our Flash Fiction Contest.) Please include the word count in an upper corner of the first page.
- Please send only one submission per category (poetry, fiction, and non-fiction) during each reading period. You are welcome to submit to multiple categories.
- We will publish flash fiction, short stories, and novel excerpts, provided they can stand on their own. We do not publish genre fiction or children's stories.We encourage you to read archives of South 85 Journal and acquaint yourself with the material we publish before submitting your work.
- Type should be no smaller than 12-pt. font. Please use standard fonts such as Times New Roman, Arial, Helvetica or Goudy, and refrain from script or “flowery” lettering.
- Submissions should be saved in Word or Rich Text format.
- Number pages consecutively, double space, and use margins of at least one inch.
- Place your name, email address, and word count in an upper corner of the first page.
- We accept simultaneous submissions, however, if your work is under consideration elsewhere, please be sure to inform us in your cover letter. If it is accepted elsewhere, please withdraw your work through Submittable.
South 85 Journal does not publish work which has been previously published either in print or online. Our reply time is typically six to eight weeks. We acquire exclusive first-time Internet rights only. All other rights revert to the author at publication, but we offer formal, written reassignments upon request. Works are also archived online. We are unable to pay for submissions. We ask that whenever an author reprints the work that first appeared in our pages, South 85 Journal be given acknowledgment for the specific work(s) involved.