We are accepting Non-Fiction submissions for the Fall / Winter 2018 issue, which we will release June 15, 2019. Guidelines:
- Manuscript should be sent as an attachment.
- Non-fiction submissions should be no longer than 8,000 words. Please include the word count in an upper corner of the first page.
- Please send only one submission per category (poetry, fiction, and non-fiction) during each reading period. You are welcome to submit to multiple categories.
- We seek to publish non-fiction essays that give a new perspective, make undiscovered connections, or show us something new. We appreciate the innovation of form and content that challenges our perception of the craft as well as wit and humor. Above all, be honest with us, about your content and yourself. We encourage you to read archives of South 85 Journal and acquaint yourself with the material we publish before submitting your work.
- Please refrain from submitting academic articles.
- Type should be no smaller than 12-pt. font. Please use standard fonts such as Times New Roman, Arial, Helvetica or Goudy, and refrain from script or “flowery” lettering.
- Submissions should be saved in Word or Rich Text format.
- Number pages consecutively, double space, and use margins of at least one inch.
- Place your name, email address, and word count in an upper corner of the first page.
- We accept simultaneous submissions. If it is accepted elsewhere, please withdraw your submission via Submittable.
South 85 Journal does not publish work which has been previously published either in print or online. Our reply time is typically six to eight weeks. We acquire exclusive first-time Internet rights only. All other rights revert to the author at publication, but we offer formal, written reassignments upon request. Works are also archived online. We are unable to pay for submissions. We ask that whenever an author reprints the work that first appeared in our pages, South 85 Journal be given acknowledgment for the specific work(s) involved.