South 85 Journal accepts submissions for its Fiction, Non-Fiction, and Poetry categories during its formal reading periods, August 1 - November 1 and February 1 - May 1. We accept artwork and blog submissions year-round. Reviews are written on assignment only.
Thank you for submitting work to the South 85 Journal Julia Peterkin Flash Fiction Contest. Please be sure to follow these guidelines carefully:
- Submissions are accepted from June 1 - August 15.
- Previously unpublished fiction of 850 words or less are eligible for this contest. We are especially interested in stories that demonstrate a strong voice and/or a sense of place, but we consider all quality writing.
- All submissions will be read blind, so do not include personal information with your submission. Submissions that include identifying information will not be considered.
- We will select one winner to receive a cash prize of $500.
- Four semi-finalists will be chosen for publication in South 85 Journal
- Winners will be named in October.
- All winning entries will be published in the Fall / Winter issue of South 85 Journal, which will be released December 15.
- To read last year's winners, visit http://south85journal.com/issues/fall-winter-2018/flash-fiction/.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but please withdraw your entry if your piece is accepted elsewhere.
- All winners must be over 18 years old and reside in the U.S. in order to claim their cash prize.
- Please use double-spacing and a 12 point, standard font. We suggest Times New Roman. We consider only previously unpublished work.
- Current and former staff members are not eligible for participation.
- Current Converse College students and Converse College alumni are not eligible for participation.
South 85 Journal does not publish work which has been previously published either in print or online. Our reply time is typically six to eight weeks. We acquire exclusive first-time Internet rights only. All other rights revert to the author at publication, but we offer formal, written reassignments upon request. Works are also archived online. We ask that whenever an author reprints the work that first appeared in our pages, South 85 Journal be given acknowledgment for the specific work(s) involved. Only the main contest winner will receive a prize.
South 85 Journal is seeking visual art for its semi-annual journal.
- 72dpi / RGB
- If chosen, we will publish your artwork in two places: 1) Cropped to 788 px x 336 px as the featured image for the entire issue or on one of the main pages of the issue. 2) On its own page sized to a 600 px width x any height. On this page, we will include a photo of you, a bio, and an artistic statement. See past issues for examples: http://south85journal.com/issues/.
- JPG, PNG, or GIF
- Submit up to three files at a time.
- Please include the artist's last name and the title of the piece in the name of the file.
- In your cover letter, include your full contact information (name, address, phone, email); the titles, media, and dimensions of your image; whether any of the images have been published previously and, if so, where; a 50-75 word biographic statement; and a 50-75 word art statement with your submission.
- Works are archived online.
- We are unable to pay for submissions.
South 85 Journal is seeking guest bloggers to contribute to its weekly blog about writing.
- Blog entries should be non-fiction essays about writing or the writing life.
- Limit your thoughts to 500-1500 words, and use a conversational style. For examples, see past posts at http://south85journal.com/blog/.
- Manuscript should be sent as an attachment. Work pasted into the body of the cover letter will not be considered.
- Type should be no smaller than 12-pt. font. Please use standard fonts such as Times New Roman, Arial, Helvetica or Goudy, and refrain from script or “flowery” lettering.
- Submissions should be saved in Word or Rich Text format.
- Number pages consecutively, and use margins of at least one inch.
- Place your name and email address in an upper corner of the first page.
- Include a brief cover letter and include a contributor’s note of no more than 75 words that tells the reader about you and your literary background. Feel free to include other publications in which your work has appeared.
- We accept simultaneous submissions, however, if your work is under consideration elsewhere, please be sure to inform us in your cover letter. If it is accepted elsewhere, withdraw your submission through Submittable immediately.
- Please do not submit reviews. Reviews for our journal and blog are written on assignment.