South 85 Journal accepts Fiction, Non-Fiction, and Poetry submission during our open submission period from January 15 to April 15 and contest submissions for the Julia Peterkin Literary Award in Poetry and Flash Fiction from June 1 to August 15.
We accept blog submissions and book reviews year-round.
We only consider Blog submission which center on literary interests including writing process, publishing, MFA programs and writing conferences, or discussions on craft. Please do not send term papers, promotional material, or how to articles. The latter will be declined without consideration.
We consider Book reviews that focus on literary fiction, literary nonfiction or poetry collections.
South 85 Journal is welcomes articles about writing and the writing life.
- Articles should be non-fiction essays about writing or the writing life.
- Limit your thoughts to 500-1500 words and use a conversational style. For examples,
see past posts at http://south85journal.com/blog/.
- South 85 Journal publishes reviews of upcoming and newly released poetry collections and books of fiction and nonfiction in its journal and blog.
- Book reviews should range from 750-1200 words
- Send your article or book review as an attachment. Work pasted into the body of the cover letter will not be considered.
- Type should be no smaller than 12-pt. font. Please use standard fonts such as Times New Roman, Arial, Helvetica or Goudy, and refrain from script or “flowery” lettering.
- Submissions should be saved in Word format.
- Number pages consecutively, and use margins of at least one inch.
- Include a brief cover letter and include a contributor’s note of no more than 50 words that tells the reader about you and your literary background. Feel free to include other publications in which your work has appeared.
- We accept simultaneous submissions, however, if your work is under consideration elsewhere, please be sure to inform us in your cover letter. If it is accepted elsewhere, withdraw your submission through Submittable immediately.
- Do not use this form to submit poetry, fiction, or creative nonfiction, which are accepted during our general submission period.
South 85 Journal does not publish work which has been previously published either in print or online. Our reply time is typically six to eight weeks.