South 85 Journal accepts submissions for its Fiction, Non-Fiction, and Poetry categories during its formal reading periods, August 1 - November 1 and February 1 - May 1. We accept artwork and blog submissions year-round. Reviews are written on assignment only. If you are interested in writing a review, please visit this page for more information.
South 85 Journal is seeking visual art for its semi-annual journal.
- 72dpi / RGB
- Dimensions: maximum 1024x768
- JPG, PNG, or GIF
- Submit up to three files at a time.
- Please include the artist's last name and the title of the piece in the name of the file.
- In your cover letter, include your full contact information (name, address, phone, email); the titles, media, and dimensions of your image; whether any of the images have been published previously and, if so, where; a 50-75 word biographic statement; and a 50-75 word art statement with your submission.
South 85 Journal is seeking guest bloggers to contribute to its weekly blog about writing.
- Blog entries should be non-fiction essays about writing or the writing life.
- Limit your thoughts to 500-1500 words, and use a conversational style. For examples, see past posts at http://south85journal.com/blog/.
- Manuscript should be sent as an attachment. Work pasted into the body of the cover letter will not be considered.
- Type should be no smaller than 12-pt. font. Please use standard fonts such as Times New Roman, Arial, Helvetica or Goudy, and refrain from script or “flowery” lettering.
- Submissions should be saved in Word or Rich Text format.
- Number pages consecutively, and use margins of at least one inch.
- Place your name and email address in an upper corner of the first page.
- Include a brief cover letter and include a contributor’s note of no more than 75 words that tells the reader about you and your literary background. Feel free to include other publications in which your work has appeared.
- We accept simultaneous submissions, however, if your work is under consideration elsewhere, please be sure to inform us in your cover letter. If it is accepted elsewhere, withdraw your submission through Submittable immediately.
- Please do not submit reviews. Reviews for our journal and blog are written on assignment.